Wednesday, April 10, 2019

An Art Lover's Paradise!

By: MariaJose Valdez

Madrid gave me New York City vibes, with a European spin. There was bustling traffic and hordes of people walking around. Standing in the middle of the plaza I could see tons of modern stores and buildings as well as shops we have back home such as Vans, Sephora, Bath&Body and Apple to name a few. I’m not a fan of crowded cities so I found myself overwhelmed being in the center. I liked the outskirts of the city better, where the streets were narrow and full of surprises. I had more than one memorable moment in Madrid. First was going to the museums, Prado and Reina Sofia, they were completely intriguing and incredible.

Getting lost in the Prado was the best thing that could have happened. I would stumble on huge canvases, to marble statues, and 13th century art which gave me goosebumps to be in the same room with something that has existed for centuries. I was so excited to see all these works of art that I had learned about in past semesters up close. I took my time and absorbed all this magnificent building had to offer. I was glad I visited the Prado museum first and then went to the Reina Sofia as I was able to see some of the influence of earlier work reflected in more modern artists and their work. The museums were the highlight of Madrid for me. I have checked Guernica off my bucket list. I was able to see photographs of Picasso working on this historic piece and how the inner process panned out. I also found myself getting sucked into these small rooms in the museum where short films were being projected on the wall. They were very abstract and at times made me feel uncomfortable, which was probably the point. I've never had an experience like this in a museum and I truly enjoyed it. I'm glad I used my free time to check this place out. Highly recommended!
The other one was Retiro Park. I was a bit skeptical on going on a bike tour since I had explored the city all day and was feeling tired, plus I hadn’t been on a bike in five years, but I read that this park was a must see. I sucked it up and jumped on the bike. Boy! Am I glad I changed my mind. This park was AMAZING! From the Crystal palace to the remains of the old zoo, every part was beautiful and so clean. There was romance in the air with many couples having picnics and laying underneath the trees in the park. The weather was perfect for a siesta! I loved seeing the man made pond and the people using the row boats. It was such a relaxing feeling being there. I was also surprised to see they had a statue of the fallen angel Lucifer and that it happens to be located 666 meters above sea level, coincidence?! I think NOT! I was assured by our tour guide that no satanic rituals happen in this area. When I visit Madrid again I will be sure to come back to this park for a whole day, probably rent a bike again!


No comments:

Post a Comment