Monday, March 11, 2019

Welcome to Lisboa: The Historical Capital Everyone Should See



By Liz Mercado

As soon as I arrived in the city of Lisbon, I was amazed, and was trying to take in all of the beautiful scenery. I was in awe of the tall palm trees, and all of the different types of vibrant orange, purple and pink flowers everywhere. The sky was such a beautiful color, and there were no clouds in the sky. When we took our panoramic bus tour of the city, I noticed that Lisbon is a very hilly region, and you can see all the different areas of the city. I loved how all of the houses were painted bright colors with terracotta roofs. They looked like they came straight from the Mediterranean. I also noticed that everywhere we went, the streets were paved with cobblestones. I was also surprised to see how clean the city was. In Connecticut, I’m so used to seeing the streets littered with garbage, being in such a clean city was a new experience for me.
      On the bus tours, I learned some of the history of Lisbon. Our tour guide, Nicholas, told us that in November of 1755, there was a massive earthquake that was so destructive, it made Lisbon crumble. The aftershocks were so powerful that they were felt as far away as Salamanca, where its cathedral has cracks in it.The piece of information that I found most interesting was the fact that Belem, one of the four districts of Lisbon, was founded by Miguel II after he prayed to St. Mary and told her that if Vasco da Gama was successful in his journey, he would dedicate the town to Bethlehem.

In Lisbon, I saw beautiful architecture and structures over 500 years old. I saw many marble sculptures depicting religious and historical events, and the religious sites like the old churches and cathedrals were amazing. I also saw many olive trees and train like trolleys on tracks around the town square- something that I could never have seen in Connecticut. As we were traveling into the city, I could see the statue, Christ the King, (a replica of the Christ the Redeemer statue found in Brazil). Initially, I felt overwhelmed arriving in Lisbon, due to the fact that I have never been outside of the United States before, and I know about 3 words in Portuguese. I was unsure of what to expect in Portugal, but after the gorgeous city took my breath away, I was excited to explore the city and discover what Lisbon has to offer.
******************************************************************




No comments:

Post a Comment